返回列表 發帖

Discussion: Hong Kong Pop (Commercial) Music Industry

Hello Cool Music Members,

I want to talk about the Hong Kong Pop Scene in English.

In this forum I saw that there are some threads that are responded in English, so that's why I want to try to start a English thread.

Actually I also want to participate in those threads, but most of posts I don't understand so I can't respond to that. Also, for me it is a bit strange if most of the posts are in Chinese and in the middle of nowhere a English post pops out. And if a Chinese written post responds to my post, then maybe I can't response to that post.

The reason why I started this thread is because I follow the Hong Kong Music Scene like the same as the people who participate in this forum. I really want to talk about it, but I do not find any forum on the internet in English where there are people who thoroughly follows the Hong Kong Pop Scene like the new songs, news and especially now the music awards.

Some topics for this thread:

- Who, do you think, will be the big winner of all the four Music Awards (RTHK, Metro, TVB and 903)?

- Which songs are good in 2017? Which song are popular among the people?

- Which artist archieved this year, 2017, the most? (Songs, Albums, Concerts, Popularity etc.)

- Are there singers who disappointed you?

- What are your thoughts about the (current) Hong Kong Music Industry?

Also if there are some news, we can also talk about that.

Let's see how far we can come with this thread. Maybe it will be a success, or maybe not. We will see by then.

Let me start with this thread ;)

Actually, I have some questions. I hope someone can answer them:

1. What does 太空卡 means? (I saw this term a lot in this thread: 叱咤風雲2017)
2. When counting the airplay of the songs at 903 I always see this next to a song: +1,-1,-2 etc. What does the plus and minus means? (Example: 李克勤 - 失魂記 157+6)
3. Why do 903 ban 星夢娛樂 songs like Hana's 忘記我自己 and Hubert's 到此一遊. Do they want to prevent promoting these singers because they already have a big support from TVB or are there other reasons.
4. 2017 is really a bad year for Fred Cheng (our panda). I know in the beginning of this year he many times said that he will release an album this year. But around May he was being frozen or something by his company. Is it because of his gossips or are there other problems which I didn't know. I was hoping that he will take the place of Alfred, which was leaving the company, being the "first brother". But now Hubert's popularity becoming huge, he almost taken the "first brother" place.

Also I saw that TVB deleted the Most Popular Male and Female Award this year. Now it's becoming gender-neutral award: The Most Popular Artist. How do you think about this new Award? Is there really not a successor of Joey who can carry this award? TVB makes this awards every year worser. First 20 songs, then TVB+EEG takes the most awards and now the Most Popular Singer Award. What will be next? Only broadcasting on Big Big Channel? They better make a end of this music award, before it's getting worser and worser. In the 80's and 90's this award was the most influence, so it really makes me sad to see how they make this JSG Awards to a piece of sh*t.

Wo Di English so Bad Ah
Ho 5 ho E use Cantonese

can anyone use english to sing hacken lee new song?
C3PO / Lost souls ?

Leon K, you write goodest English

leonk 發表於 2017-12-17 21:22

2. those values with a minus or plus sign means adjustment on airplay made by 903. When they announce the weekly chart, there will often be differences between the airplay that 903 'count' and the one that CM members 'count' (few mistakes may happen though). 903 may sometimes change the rank of certain songs in order to favour a particular artist. As their positions are changed there will be adjustment made. As a consequence the final airplay of each so-called 'adjusted' song will be signified with a value carrying a minus or plus sign.

3. Apart from getting big support from TVB, in my opinion, songs produced by 星夢娛樂 are just FUNCTIONAL songs, i.e. theme songs of TVB's sh*tty soap operas, instead of pure MUSIC. Yet there have been some exceptions, e.g. Mag Lam's Little Something and 年少無知 few years ago were charted at 903 (but these two were not produced by 星夢娛樂 at that time). Refusing to play their songs can somehow help build 903's professional image on picking good music as 903 is somehow regarded as a nice platform promoting cool and independent music (in the past but not now) (well, that is another issue).  

I'm not going to address other questions regarding 星夢娛樂 as i usually do not pay attention to this sh*tty company as well as their stars.
hope can answer your enquiries:)
Weekly Pick(s):
陳健安 - 之後的一天

C3PO / Lost souls ?
艾石仔 發表於 2017-12-17 22:46

Accompany you LOOK BACK~ LOOK BACK~~ LOOK BACK~~~

siongguan 發表於 2017-12-17 22:59

have sound even if it is translated in a different language
Weekly Pick(s):
陳健安 - 之後的一天

本帖最後由 Bluejays 於 2017-12-17 23:26 編輯

A Fred fan with a 2012 registration date ... neat
(because 星夢傳奇 is 2013)

The only Fred sympathizer here with a registration date that pre-dates you should be the one to answer your questions. You know who you are. Come show yourself.
沒有盛世要賒 沒浮華暫借 沒時代 沒有記憶 來拉扯 燦爛地凋謝

本帖最後由 matthew1990 於 2017-12-18 22:31 編輯

1. What does 太空卡 means? (I saw this term a lot in this thread: 叱咤風雲2017)

太空卡 are prepaid SIM cards that can be purchased at a price as low as HKD10. As you may be aware, 903 only used telephone number verification for their voting system. That's when 太空卡 come into play. Some netizens speculated on the possibility that people can deliberately manipulate the system and take advantage of the loopholes by creating multiple accounts to set up for a mass voting. In fact, the practice of mass voting is ridiculously popular in the Kpop community. That's why many emerging Kpop acts won random "Fanbase Awards" at major music award ceremonies in Europe and in the States nowadays.
[其他分享] (零難度) 如何自行製作伴奏音樂
http://www.cmusichart.com/discuz/viewthread.php?tid=22055&page=1&extra=#pid1902279

本帖最後由 matthew1990 於 2017-12-18 22:27 編輯

4. 2017 is really a bad year for Fred Cheng (our panda). I know in the beginning of this year he many times said that he will release an album this year. But around May he was being frozen or something by his company. Is it because of his gossips or are there other problems which I didn't know. I was hoping that he will take the place of Alfred, which was leaving the company, being the "first brother". But now Hubert's popularity becoming huge, he almost taken the "first brother" place.

Fred got exposed by the tabloids for being a two-timer. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason why his album got pushed back. That said, I don't think TVB has given up on Fred just yet. But will the C9s unstan him? That's the real question!
[其他分享] (零難度) 如何自行製作伴奏音樂
http://www.cmusichart.com/discuz/viewthread.php?tid=22055&page=1&extra=#pid1902279

本帖最後由 matthew1990 於 2017-12-18 22:29 編輯
siongguan 發表於 2017-12-17 22:59

Have sound post

Wo Di English so Bad Ah
Ho 5 ho E use Cantonese
hehehaha 發表於 2017-12-17 22:21

Gum u dim commuicate with gwai los?
[其他分享] (零難度) 如何自行製作伴奏音樂

Gum u dim commuicate with gwai los?
matthew1990 發表於 2017-12-18 22:28

There's ho dou many kind of Gwai Los and not all say englishs a
Like Spanish, French, Italian, German, sometimes their english is shit as Me
Let's not off topic:
CM is such as a International Music Forum and i'm so proud of it

This post is so academic!!!

C3PO / Lost souls ?
艾石仔 發表於 2017-12-17 22:46

Like chu like bowl like C3PO everyday stand by/Can see but cannot touch

本帖最後由 matthew1990 於 2017-12-18 23:30 編輯
There's ho dou many kind of Gwai Los and not all say englishs a
Like Spanish, French, Italian, Germ ...
hehehaha 發表於 2017-12-18 23:16

you ying jen jor
by the way you hai mai dou sic speak portuguese?
[其他分享] (零難度) 如何自行製作伴奏音樂

you ying jen jor
by the way you hai mai dou sic speak portuguese?
matthew1990 發表於 2017-12-18 23:29

of coz this is a very ying jen post so we cant be comment plastic ah
Não fala bem português :)

Wow, never expected that much comments. Also thanks to the ones who replied to my questions, really appreciate it!

For the Music Awards. there are already separate topics like 《2017年度勁歌金曲頒獎典禮》 (2017.12.30), [十大中文金曲頒獎禮2017] 實況直擊 and 叱咤風雲2017.

But in general, I'm still asking myself what the meaning is of these four music awards. For me it is a reward for the artist, they worked a whole year to entertain the people with good music. Giving gigs and concerts, participating at events, releasing singles/CD album, so they really deserve an award to support them. But, that's all. Do common citizens care about the awards? Do they really achieve something with these awards? Are these awards not a bit outdated nowadays?

When I look at the JSG awards, why are they still continue to present them? Because of the tradition, they don't want to let it die. It has a historical value, so it is a pity to cancel it? Or because of the commercial reasons, record companies need this awards presentation to promote their artist? But almost nobody watch it, only the music fans, so how can they reach "new" people to buy their music for example. Or because trying to becoming the "talk of the town", they want to push the TV station in the spotlights? But that's no need, a lot of people know the TV station.

I took JSG as a example for now, because their awards looks really worse. Only EEG+Voice Entertainment takes the big part of the awards, other companies never can beat them. But it is the same for RTHK and Metro. They also gives the awards to the same people every year, it really makes it boring and predictable. The awards presentation is also boring too. Why are they still spending their money to organise these awards? Winning an award is not something special anymore in the eye of the people, everyone gets an award. Also not a lot people care, look at the TV ratings of JSG and the attendance of Metro's presentation.

903 has it also what I above said, but they do make it a bit less boring. This station does every year have a surprise in store, so they can be the "talk if the town" and promote themselves. But still, "giving the awards to own people", do not change.

nobody's want to discuss about HK POP
so sad

Hk welcome u
SUNDAY MUSIC CHART WEEK 12
1. 自我反省 2. Little Love 3. Control Freak

Wow, never expected that much comments. Also thanks to the ones who replied to my questions, really  ...
leonk 發表於 2017-12-19 04:47

I think before record companies can really use the awards to promote their artists. This is still kind of true, but obviously, if only Joey Yung and Eason Chan can win awards, then there really isn't much room to promote others. Also, TVB awards used to get high ratings and are much talked about. 903 still kind of have some noise (even facebook do have some comments on 1/1). It is an event that should in theory benefit both the award giving company and the artists. It also does lead to people to listen to more Cantopop. Obviously no research is done (by me), but 903 top 10 usually see some spike in streaming apps like MOOV or KKbox or in Itunes in the week after the awards.

I’m a superstar. I come from Hong Kong.

Q: Which songs are good in 2017? Which song are popular among the people?

A: Say Goodbye To Everyday
Jason's Playlist 2024
Week 12 白髮齊眉 - 鄧小巧

Q: Which songs are good in 2017? Which song are popular among the people?

A: Say Goodbye To Everyda ...
JasOh103 發表於 2019-3-20 08:31

Come with Me!

Come with Me!
hehehaha 發表於 2019-3-20 19:59

Dai Mo Wai!

I think Come with Me is the best cantonese song in the past decade
no like don't insert

返回列表